Product managers are expected to be extraordinarily sharp and productive. In a corporation, the design and manufacture of products is a crucial part of the organization. No profit is possible when the design and management of products is non-existent or even delayed.
The position of product manager is a huge responsibility and the demand of having a superb one in a company is always increasing as our community becomes more inclined to trade and business deals. A product manager job description is almost specific and extensive. Some of the most valuable traits and qualities of a person who is fit to be a product manager are as follows.
Be able to define sale strategies of the product – Having someone who knows the product “in and out” will surely be an advantage to the company. A person, who has been involved with the product for some time is the most likely to qualify for this. This is the reason why most product managers came from promotions of assistant managers from within the company itself.
Be able to work with other people in assembling partnerships for internal and external sales – The foremost goal of a good project manager is to be able to sell its products. With good social and business skills, it is a plus into fitting a project manage job description.
Be an expert in challenging and staying competitive with other product contenders – Having a keen eye out for competitors is a big responsibility. Most of the time, the value of the product gets more or less marketable because of the state and quality of other like products from the competition.
Leadership and people-building skills – A manager manages and for someone who has a team or a group is expected to set the core example. Without proper direction and motivation, a team will not work well and this will lead to lower output, or worse – product failure.
A product manager job description also includes certain educational and career achievements such as:
- A minimum of number of years of experience in being a Product Manager or working closely with one as an assistant or other similar position.
- Has extensive background of success in defining and debuting first-rate and competitive products. An updated portfolio must be submitted for reference.
- A minimum number of years of experience in a job in the product’s market or with a similar type of product.
- Preferably, a Master’s Degree in Business (a Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Management is acceptable.)
- Excellent verbal and communication skills in English and in the native language of the product’s home nation.
- Must be able and willing to travel in short and long distances (several days at a time, depending on the job’s requirement) for a percentage rate specified by the company.
- Both first level and technical knowledge of the product for troubleshooting and product improvement.
Looking for a New Career in 2012?
Our 2012 Hot Jobs Guide is what you need. Get it for free.